Friday, September 26, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

I just finished reading this and this is what I typed on my goodreads page about the book. Normal rambling....

This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time now and I am really glad that I finally got around/made time to read it. What took me so long was that I had heard so many good things about it - "It's a good book", "It's a great book", "You should really read this book", etc. I know, so why did it take so long for me to get to reading it could be a mystery, but for those who know me, they might know that I shy away from things that everyone else just loves to death. I think sometimes it's because I just can't believe all the hype and I have been disappointed in some of the other recommendations that come oh, so highly recommended. The other reason is that (unless I wasn't paying attention and that can happen, we all know) every time it was recommended, no one really told me what it was about or didn't give me insight to some of the background of the book, that to me would have piqued my interest.

I enjoy reading (hhhmmm, how to word this) books that have history or historical facts in them (that works - wanted to make sure people didn't think I enjoyed reading about oppression and conflicts of the sort addressed in the book- civil rights). Anyways, reading about the way that things were and knowing how things have changed in some regards and in others not so much really gets me thinking and I like that. I know that the underlying conflicts of civil rights was not the main point of the book but while reading about it it made me think about what I would have done or how I would have reacted in a number of the instances in the book. I feel as though I probably would have been beaten up myself because of the way I feel that that is, was wrong, but then I wonder, would I really have spoken up or would I have just thought about the injustice as a silent observer. See, inner reflection happening.

Ok, that's enough rambling for now, and can't really say it's a review of the book or anything, just my thoughts as I finished up reading the book. It was well written and I enjoyed it is what I can say about the book.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

That one has been on my 'to read' list for a while too.