Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Money Spending

I think I've known this for a while, but I'm really going to try to do something about it this time, I swear. Ok, here it is. I spend money, I like to spend money and admittedly, I will sometimes spend more than I should on an item or while doing something, but I've also come to the realization that when money is tight I really, really want to spend even more. It's sick. I know that I shouldn't be buying something I really don't need or I definitely shouldn't be going out as much as I have been because things are tight and I have to use my stupid credit card more than I should, I just can't help it.

Why all this coming out now, you may ask. It's because I've been catching myself really looking at all the ad e-mails I get and the little nic-nak magazines and thinking hmmm what can I get and not even thinking what do I need. I'm even looking at items thinking, wow, I should by that for so-and-so, why? no reason, just because I think they'd like it. It's not their birthday or anniversary or any special occasion. Now, I know that this would be something nice to do for a person and they'd probably even feel really great when receiving it and I have done this on many different occassions. I just need to know that I cannot do that right now, when money is a little tight, but it's so hard. "Look at those adorable wine bottle stoppers." I was even wandering the aisles of the local hardware store trying to find stuff to buy, just because.

So, I'm really going to make an effort to watch it this time - no more debt will be my mantra. I will concentrate on thinking about buying the necessary things...
privacy fence
decking/pavers for back yard
new windows to replace the two original windows left in the house to help conserve energy
things for the housewarming party

I did breakdown and go to Costco over the weekend and get stuff, most of it I will say is stuff we needed, but did we really need so many of them? I don't know, but I loved spending the money - hehe - we now have plenty of sandwich bags at the house - I can go crazy with them and I won't run out.

Condo closing date set for April 4 - can't wait - need to go on shopping spree - haha - but it's good things I want to spend the money on - I want the perfect window for the house - more money than the basic looking one, but it will make the house look so much better and I'm going to fight for getting pavers/stone put in for our front walkway instead of getting in re-concreted. See I get to spend money, enjoy it and justify it - better resale value for whenever we move - like never...

1 comment:

Julie said...

I am the exact same way.

I even gave up spending money for lent and I think I did okay...

But I really do need a kick in the pants. NO MORE SPENDING!