Tuesday, February 19, 2008

San Francisco Trip

We got back from out three-day trip to San Francisco this morning and I am just about wanting to crash. I have to say that I am proud of myself for making it to almost the end of my work day before it really, really hit - though I haven't been my usual bubbly self.

This weekend was very fun and interesting. It was the first trip for both of us away since we got married and it was a little like a mini honeymoon - though we hung out the whole time with Jason's cousin Matt who was gracious enough to put us up in his house, play tour guide and chauffer us around and generally just put up with us. Thanks Matt!

Now, I'm not a very good tourist. It's not that I'm bad in an awful sense - like treating the locals rudely or getting in everyone's way. I just like to see things quickly, get a general idea of the place, unless it totally grabs me, and then I'll look deeper. I don't like to walk around alot staring at things, having my picture taken in a very touristy style - unless amongst mostly tourists. I don't know why it bothers me to have people who live around the area look over and smirk at us like oh yeah, they're tourists, but it does.

Anyways, we had a good time. We stayed at Matt's place in Pacifica - he is renting a place which has three bedrooms, hard wood floors throughout, an awesome kitchen, etc. the downer part is that his landlord is trying to rent or sell the place and recently just took out all the furniture that was there besides Matt's stuff. So we slept on an air mattress and when we hung out for a little while at the house, we sat on the hardwood floor and played games - mind you, they were drinking games, so that helped take away some of the soreness ;-)

We started out our touring at a pier in Pacifica where we got breakfast and watched the waves crash up on the shore and into the pier - I think I got some pretty good pictures. We then drove over to San Francisco and around Golden Gate Park, where we went to a museum where we went up into an observation tower and saw most of the city, we also saw a number of groups of people practicing the art of Tai Chi at various places in the park and trees called grandmother hands. There was this little art sale going on in the middle of the park and as we were walking by I was listening to this one artist giving instructions to his assistant, I guess, about what to get him for lunch - I wanted to fall out laughing the way he was going on about, "now get me a large orange, not the small oranges, you know what I mean, right, I don't want the small oranges, I want a large orange and my coffee I want a large, not a medium, do you got that" It might not sound that funny, but if you've ever seen that show on HGTV where the guy is a house flipper and he has a bunch of assistants and he talks to them like he is "god" or something and is very specific you'd know what I was talking about - the artist guy sounded just like him - I think he could tell I wanted to laugh at him or maybe he could see it since I probably have no poker face at all and I was giggling.

From there we went over the Golden Gate Bridge and after driving around Sausalito for a little while, we ate lunch at a restaurant with a deck on the water - Horizons. We then went back to San Francisco and visited a couple different areas - I have to look them up - where there were excellent views of the bay and Alcatraz. Can't even begin to say how many different pictures but the same basically we have of Alcatraz. "Look there's Alcatraz, that's a good angle - snap - oh, this may be better - snap - oh, we are a little closer now - snap. We went down to Pier 39, after I was told to stop being a whiney wife; we walked down the pier and saw the sea lions and bought salt water taffy which made my day.

We went out with our friend J.P. who is out there going to law school Saturday night. Played some pool and darts and had a fun time.

I know I'm leaving stuff out, and need to go over this and finish up the trip, but it's almost the end of the day for me and I just want to go home, pick up my babies and sleep in my own bed. I'll finish up tomorrow and hopefully be able to post a few pictures.

No comments: