Monday, January 7, 2008

Cost of a Book

I recently picked up the first book in a series called the Chintz 'n China Mysteries - "Emerald O'Brien owns a teashop, reads tarot cards, communicates with the other side and, on occasion, is called on by the living - and the dead - to solve a mystery." There are about 5 books in the series. I've since found out that it has come to an end as the author had decided to focus her work on different books which she prefers to write.

Anyways, I started looking for the second book in the series, first through the library (no luck there) and then on-line with B&N and Amazon. It is called Legend of the Jade Dragon. Unfortunately, it is out of print and I'm guessing that that is why when I found it on line it cost about $24 for USED copy of it - or - if I wanted a new one it would be about $74. WHAT?? I mean, please, this is just a paperback and the author's own website says that the series didn't attract a large enough audience to go on.

I think that it's highway robbery that the people who own these books are asking a price like that. It could be because I feel happy when I'm able to pass along my books to others who might get enjoyment out of them and I don't charge them. To me this just points out how greedy some people are and how there are too many people who will try and make money no matter what. I am also not big into the yard sale/garage sale thing. I'm oh so much more apt to want to box it up and donate it - which I guess does help me since I can write it off on my taxes, but at the same time, I'd just as soon pass it along for free if someone were interested in reading the books I had. They have this neat thing at our office where people can drop off the books they have read and anyone can come along and pick one up - like a little free library. I need to remember to pack up all my books and bring them in.

Ok, this was just a quick post to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. I'm just going to skip that book and move on to book 3 though at this point, I'm even wondering if it's worth it to continued since I know that the series will end and there probably isn't even an ending feeling to it - probably it's left hanging, because the author originally planned on writing more - I hope not. I don't like things not wrapped up for me. Hated the ending of Sopranos!!!

No comments: