Thursday, January 31, 2008

Open Mouth Insert Foot

So yesterday my friend Amanda and I stepped out for lunch and on the way back she stopped at one of the vendor to get flowers - they are always the way to go - 1/2 dozon roses for $4 and they last long and look beautiful.

Amanda: Which ones should I get? Which are prettiest?
Me: I don't know, whatever, maybe those pink ones
Amanda: Maybe I should get another bunch and make it an even dozen. What do you think?
(I am a little tired and grouchy - but not my full fledge grouch)
Me: Why are you getting them? Who are they for?
Amanda: Tiffany
Me: Just get six. Why twelve? Six is enough.
Amanda: I think it will look fuller and nicer
Me: Six are fine for her birthday.
Amanda: It's not for her birthday it's because she's been feeling down.
Me: Which Tiffany are we talking about? Our supervisor?
Amanda: No, the other one.
Me: Oh, well then do what you think is best. This other bunch compliments the other bunch best.

So, she buys the dozen roses and we start to walk back to the office.

Me: That is nice of you and since we were talking about flowers... when I was talking with "the girls" about getting her flowers after her grandfather died (which was right before my Aunt died), I said to the girls that I was all for getting Amanda flowers, but that I really did not want them to get me any for my Aunt.
Amanda: Oh (with a quiet look on her face)
Me: Yeah, the last thing that I wanted was flowers after having spent the last two weeks/weekends in houses and funeral homes filled with flowers because a close loved one had died - that flowers only reminded me of death and that the smell of them so soon and close after all that is sorta sickening.
Amanda (gets this look on her face, sort of like shock): Oh, really, I actually bought these for you.

Talk about embarrassing - Open mouth really, really wide and insert foot. I was so embarrassed. I told her that it was a sweet thought and I'm really sorry for saying what I had and that I really appreciated that she had done it.

All that I keep thinking about is the look on her face when she told me she bought them for me and what's funny is later she said that all that she can keep thinking about is the look on my face when she said that. Ah, maybe I should just learn to keep my mouth shut, but who knew? She had said they were for someone else. I'm glad though that we were able to laugh about it all once I was able to get around my size 7 1/2 foot in my mouth :-)

They are very pretty and are opening up wonderfully and look great on my desk. What an awesome addition.

No comments: