Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow - Weather Schooling

It's snowing, it's snowing!!! Probably turning into a wintry mix in some places by now. I was just checking out sites to see what was up. I, of course, went to my old standby weather.com and got some information. I then checked out The Washington Post on line because I was wondering if they had school closings, etc. I happened onto one of their blogs - Capital Weather Gang. It had some very interesting information a radar of the area and people posting what was happening in their area.

as I'm reading the other people's entries, I found out that I should never rely on weather.com or the weatherchannel.com for my information. That they are big and don't cover/update their information enough for us little folk - they are a big place to turn to, though it seems, if I want hurricane information. as one commenter put it:

"your first lesson in weather watching. NEVER consult weather.com or even the Weather Channel unless there is a hurricane threatening your area. They forecast for a huge area and don't update anything because they don't have to because they know that the naive will go to their site."

Also:

"And that is the difference between what you get here at CWG and what you get at your big forecasting outlets. Because we are online, interactive, and to some degree a blog, we can more quickly react and adjust as opposed to the big boys where every change is a lumbering operation. And of course, we should have a new update on the site my mid-afternoon.
Posted by: Jamie Jones, Capital Weather Gang January 17, 2008 12:05 PM "

So, I have now found out I am naive - tsk, tsk. I have learned my lesson and have now bookmarked their site for all future weather questions.

Of course, there was also the usual bantering about how we handle the snow and react to it by a few people comparing our area to the mid-west and New England area. As one responder basically said, yes, it is a big deal - a) we like seeing the snow, we don't get it all that often and b) we get wintry mix - snow, sleet, ice down here whereas they get snow up there and it is a BIG difference to drive in and on snow than it is to drive on ice.

Ok, that's it. Enjoy the Snow/Wintry mix. Use the Capital Weather Gang site/blog to get all your weather information :-)

No comments: