Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Just When You Thought The Day Couldn't Get Worse

I was going to use Washington Jen's titling format this morning, but then so many things ran together it would be one long equation by the time I got done with it: PMS + Nasty Morning Person + Person Quitting Smoking + Crazy Driver + Joe Gibbs Retires = Pretty Crappy Morning (the traits in red all apply to same person).

This morning just wasn't a pleasant one. I mean, let's face it, those who know me really well already are aware that I can be a slightly *itchy person and that my way is always or usually the best way in my opinion - top that off with a dose of PMS and cross me wrong it COULD get ugly.

I know that I should be very understanding of the fact that my husband is trying his hardest to make his life healthier by quitting smoking (not to mention the MD no smoking in public areas law going into effect in February) and seriously, I'm trying to be supportive, once again, we all know that this is a bit hard for me - so the below is a very self-centered, one-sided view of our morning. Because he's trying to quit, he's been a bit cranky lately - in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening, etc.

This morning was a bad one, because we, of course, got up late. I say we, because if I don't make the move or force him to make the move out of bed it doesn't happen for him for a while. He is not a mover and shaker in the morning - he wants to sleep in no matter what. So, we're running late already, I'm getting dressed, letting the dogs out, making sure our pants that we are wearing for the day are wrinkle free, folding clothes, letting the dogs back in, getting dressed myself and locking up the dogs in their "house area", making sure they have food, water and play toys, warming up the car, waiting for the hubby. Now, what has he been doing in this same time period - trying to wake up, showering and dressing. So, of course, it's getting tight for us to make the train and he already starts spewing about how now we are going to have to drive in especially because we are so late - like it's just my fault - and since I'm having knee problems that I'm not going to be able to run for the train, since I already have problems running for the train anyways. I, of course, in my grown-up manner, yell right back that it's not just my fault and why can't we try to make the train and since I'm driving, I proceed to go to the train station. When we get there, it is pretty apparent that we are not going to make the train, so, of course, I've made us even later because of my insistence on trying for the train - I'm just the devil by now. He insists on driving and proceeds to tear out of the parking lot and down the road all the way to work. He is weaving in and out of traffic and, in my opinion, gets to close to the cars in front of him - I'm scared for my life, but I'm not allowed to react in anyway - though a sigh or a small screech does come out of my mouth - and then I get yelled at.

By this time, I'm seething, myself because, he very rarely is in this type of mood, it's generally my mood NOT his and I don't like being upstaged, so, I, of course, have to give it back as good as I get or just resort to my ultimate in silent treatment with the evil glinty eyes - oh, yes, I've go that look down pat - I've had years of practice on my family, friends and co-workers. By the time he drops me off at the metro I'm steaming.

I finally make into work to hear the lovely news that Joe Gibbs has decided to retire. I know that there are people out there that probably think this is a good thing, but I think that especially with the last four games played that maybe finally the team was getting things together and he definitely deserves credit for the fact that in the past years that he has been back and coaching that, while he hasn't made it to the Super Bowl, he has gotten the team to work together enough in order to make it to the playoffs twice. Which is definitely better than other coaches have done. So, what happens next year for the Redskins, once again we start all over again, getting to learn a new coach, blah, blah, blah. I hope that for the sake of the team that the next one can really pull it off.

Ok, now most of the above probably isn't even running together smoothly, but I feel better and, guess what, that's the purpose of this blog at least for this day - is my getting to get it out of my system and feeling a bit better.

The hubby and I have already talked and things are fine between us, as they usually are and will continue to be - it's just been a rough morning. I have to say I was seriously tempted to light up a cigarette in the car and stick it in his damn mouth and tell him to just inhale! But, I will be supportive and I will try my hardest to reign in my *itchy tendencies - be a grown up - and relinquish my rights as the *itch in the family, but only just for this time while he quits and gets healthy and then I definitely want my title back. I worked hard for it and established it from Day One!

I do LOVE YOU! **Just informed the hubby about this post - so, will sparks begin to fly again? Probably - He hates when I do this**

1 comment:

Bruce said...

When your husband is acting up I usually look for the closest thing to hit him with. It works pretty well!

As for Gibbs, look on the bright side, he left on his own and wasn't fired (which he would have been if they hadn't had a miraculous last 4 games). But the long and the short of it is that Gibbs wasn't on his game in his second coming. He is bad at time managment and he screwed up a lot of plays this year. The Skins need someone who is more of a coach rather than a demigod from years past. This will probably actually turn out to be a good thing for them.