Thursday, January 31, 2008

Water for Elephants

I finally broke down and bought the book club book for the month of January. We were scheduled to meet on Jan 28 and I bought it on Jan 26 - not close at all. I wasn't sure if it was going to be somethign I would like and that is the reason I kept putting it off. I had heard that it was a good book from almost everyone I spoke with but I still wasn't sure ( I don't like to be a follower - "drink the juice") since I knew that animal abuse was written about in the book and I did not want to read it if it was really detailed or actually at all - I knew it would make me very sad and mad. Luckily it wasn't that bad - though I do think that it was bad and I hate that it happened, what I mean is that luckily the author did not write about it in minute detail. The parts with him in the nursing home made me sad as this brings close to home what may come with my parents and my hope is that I will step up to the plate and visit and be there for them as much as possible, but I know that even now with them living only a mile away that I am not as good as I should be about visiting and spending time and know, really, really know that I am going to eventually regret it. Ok, enough about that.

Would I recommend the book? Yes, I would. I did enjoy it and it was an easy read. I started reading it on Sunday and by Tuesday morning I had completed it. The blending of the characters is good. I really felt that it was a well written book. Now, I read a bunch of mindless books most of the time to pass the time and entertain, so maybe I'm not a good book critic, but try it and read it for yourself and I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. I went to the book club without finishing it and was able to discuss the book without having anything given away - though they did say it was a happy ending, which I don't think spoiled it for me at all.

We have our next book picked out Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz. Once again, not sure if it is going to be a me book, but will give it a try. It seems like it is going to be depressing and heart wrenching. I'll let everyone know how it is once I'm done

No comments: