Thursday, July 31, 2008

Public scenes - Passion/Temper

So we are out last night hanging out and drinking was being done by all. One girl arrived later than most because she had been working. We were all talking and something was said and, it was something which was a "cut" or "tease" about her bf - which we were saying directly to him, but seriously, I don't even remember what it was. Well, I guess after everyone else continued on in conversation she made one last crack to her bf about whatever was said. I guess he didn't think it was funny or maybe he thought his retaliation to the comment was funny, but anyways, what he did was grab a finger full of the coleslaw off of her plate (she was eating) and shoved it in her hair. She, of course, retaliated by grabbing a bigger handful and shoved it in his hair where it proceeded to fall down the front of him and all over his pants - nice. At one point, I think that there was serious contemplation on his part about grabbing more and re-retaliating, but since we were all yelling at him at this point not to, he did not. The girl cleaned up her stuff, told him he was a jerk, gathered up her belongings and said she was leaving. He started yelling at her that because of the way that she retaliated she was by hypocritical and then proceeded to follow her out/leave.

This started a bit of a discussion between those who remained about how things were handled - everyone agrees (that I remember) that he should not have done what he had done. Now, there are some who said she shouldn't have retaliated the way she did, that she should have just gathered her stuff and left and dealt with it when they got home and in private. I can say that, I think, at this stage in my life, I think this is what I would have done, but you can be guaranteed that everyone in that place would have known that this was not something I was accepting and not something my bf would be getting away with it. I say it this way, because I can remember back to when I was as young as this couple is (she actually sorta reminds me of me at that age). She is very passionate and expresses herself immediately without completely thinking about what others are seeing - but aren't we supposed to act true to ourselves and not worry about judgment by others? I can remember making scenes in the middle of Georgetown with my ex, because of some slight that he had done - like borrow my car to go out on a date with another girl and then when I ran into them on their little date refused to give me my car back - this resulted in my jumping on the hood of the car and daring him to drive off - not very smart at all, actually quite dumb, but at the time, there was no thinking going on in my little brain - not exactly something I'm proud off, but something I did and have to own up to and something I did learn from.

Others sort of thought he may have gotten off easy. Though, I sometimes think that I am in the minority when it comes to public displays of emotion, which is why in general I have tried my hardest to minimize. It doesn't always work though, just recently I actually made a little bit of a scene in front of some of the same people by being loud, ok, improperly yelling at one of the friends about a point, which I took offense to. I have to say there were mitigating circumstances - a lot was going on - it was right before everything went to crap they end of June and beginning of July but I knew it was coming if any of that makes sense, so I was on the edge already.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I really don't know what, I just felt like posting about this event. Wouldn't mind hearing other people's takes on public scenes though. I don't think that they are the best things to be had, but have done it, so I try my hardest not to judge people when it does happen. That in itself is hard because I believe it is human nature for most people to think that they are better than others. I think it's just different ways of handling things and coming across. There are people who I know who really aren't true to their selves at all - they act one way around some people and completely different with another group of people - and I'm not talking business people versus friends - I'm talking differently in front of one type of friend versus another type of friend, this even happens when it's all the same group of friends.

Ok, I think that's enough rambling for now.

No comments: