Thursday, June 5, 2008

Long time between posts, catch up

Gosh, I haven't published/posted in like forever. I'm still alive, just have been really busy at work and then haven't felt like it in the evening - usually to busy unwinding, getting together with friends, having drinks, etc. What has been happening???

Memorial Day weekend - hung out, went to a couple bbq's, was supposed to go to my friend Renee's wedding, but then ended up not being able to go since my father was having chest pains and needed to go to emergency room. He is doing fine now, it wasn't a heart attack, but something to do with his liver, which we had recently found out has what looks like cancer spots. He is now at a rehab center, since he contracted an infection while in the hospital and is getting antibiotics via iv. Hopefully, he will be coming home in the next few days and we then will concentrate on what to do about/how to treat the liver cancer - oh, joy, oh, fun. Ok, not going to think negatively about this, not going to dwell....

On Wednesday, May 28, we had book club night. We met at Maria's and discussed our latest book read - Change of Heart by Jodi Picout. I enjoyed it, even though I basically figured out what the twist would be (she always seems to have one) around page 70 of the book. I enjoyed reading the different religious views and practices she brought up in her book. One of the other book club members was not a big fan of this aspect of the book. She says she likes her religion and doesn't want to hear anything negative about it or doesn't want to be made to look to closely or try to be persuaded by others when it comes to religion and religious thoughts. As for the other members of the "club" the majority liked the book - 1 did not and 1 thought it to be ok. We had an ok discussion by the by on the book. That is one thing thought that sometimes I do find interesting about the "club" we discuss the book, but not for very long or in much detail. Most of the talking, which I enjoy is our talking about our families presently and what happened in the past. Sometimes, it is sparked by what we've read an how we relate to it in our own personal lives but most times, we are sidetracked by something as simple of a comment as "you look exactly like so-in-so as you made that face - that must be where they get it from" and then we start talking about who looks like who, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I truly and totally enjoy these evening. Just sometimes wonder if we should be more disciplined with discussing the book. Maybe most book clubs are like ours? I don't know this is the first and only one I'm in. Does anyone else belong to a club? And, what is yours like? We are taking a break from the book club for the summer.

This past weekend, was our free first anniversary night stay at the Sheraton in Annapolis where we held our wedding reception. It was a great time. We arrived a little later than we had originally planned, we got a later start in the morning - had played poker with friends on the great patio at our house the night before - utilizing the tiki bar and fire pit as well- woo hoo. I took my mom to visit my dad and when we got back Jason and I packed and headed to Annapolis. We didn't have time to go to the pool as previously planned before dinner, so we hung out and had a couple cocktails together and prepared for the evening. We had a wonder dinner at Lewnes Steakhouse in Eastport. Melt in your mouth steak, a great bottle of wine and us :-) Had few more cocktails at Carrol's Creek and then back to the hotel. We did finally get to go to the pool on Sunday after a complimentary made-to-order omelet breakfast. Back home to chill and spend time with the girls.

Then back to work, work and more work. I think I'm caught up now. Now, I need to visit all the blogs I love to read and catch up on what everyone else has been up to. I think my next post - later today or tomorrow might be one of those meme's. Looks easy and it's informative.

P.S. Woo Hoo - I found peas at the corner stand - didn't have to drive over to the Eastern shore and search - I'm sure Jason is ecstatic about that - I am a happy camper. Now I just have to keep getting them before they go out of season. For those who don't know I love to eat peas straight out of the shell and I live for the pea season :-)

P.S.S. Oh yeah, with all these awful thunderstorms, especially last night, we came home to find a birds nest had fallen out in our back yard with baby birds in it. Two had already died when we found it and the third was a little under the weather, but we brought it inside until we figured out what to do - we looked on the internet and found that we should try and put the nest back together and place it where it came from and put the bird back in. So, we attempted this. Alas, when Jason checked on the bird this morning it had passed away in the middle of the night. I have to say that Jason was really the force behind doing all of this and was really concerned about the bird, so I give him kudos for trying and I feel bad for him that it didn't work out better. Hugs and Love to you babe!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Glad you're still around and your book club sounds fun. Sometimes I think the book itself is just the excuse to get together and chat!

Bruce said...

I can just see Jason chewing up worms in his mouth and spitting them into the baby birds mouth.