Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rant - No Keys Once Again

Today is Halloween and I've had it scheduled to leave early at 4:00 almost all month. Jason is supposed to be leaving early as well. This morning was a hectic one as normal. We were running around to get ready and try and make the train, which we once again missed so had to drive in. Maybe it was a blessing that we missed the train because on the ride in, I noticed I didn't have my monthly ticket with me since I had finished the book I was reading where I had been using it as a bookmark. Since I noticed this, we talked and I grabbed a one way ticket which we had in the car, Bruce had left it there after taking up the train one day and not being asked for his ticket on board, so that just in case Jason wasn't able to get out of the office in time because of work constraints, I would still be able to take the train and make it home in time to meet all the trick-or-treaters. (First year in our new house and the neighborhood kids tell us they all go out so I want to make sure we are there to see them.)

Oh, the best laid out plans

It wasn't until I was walking down from Metro Center to my office. Walking down from the metro? Yes, even though we drive in and we do have to technically go by my office to get to his - it is about 3-4 blocks down 11th Street from where he goes across I or K to get to his office, so he drops me off (pushes me out if he's a real big hurry - lol) at the curb on the outside circle (Mass Ave.) as we go by Union Station and I have to take the train from there. If I didn't I would have to ride all the way to his office and take the train back from Farragut West to Metro Center - it just takes way, way to long for him to travel those 3-4 extra blocks.

Anyways, I digress. As I was walking down from Metro Center to my office. I realized that I, once again, don't have a single set of keys to the house or either one of our cars because Jason has all of MY keys. One set for the car he is driving and he has pocketed the other Saturn car keys with the house keys on it for some reason or another. Why do I stress that they are my keys - it's because, yes, once frick'in again, Jason has misplaced his keys. They are somewhere around the house, but he has no clue where he put them or where they could be. He claims to have searched high and low for them but is unable to find them. I am sure I will need to do a search on my own very, very soon, but I've been pretty busy lately so haven't had a chance. I know that it probably won't take that long to find them once I start - it hasn't in the past. (I don't think guys know how to look beyond what's directly in their line of sight.) So, we have been splitting up my keys to the two cars.

I understand that since he did the driving today that he would need the Toyota keys as a necessity, what I don't understand is why he has the Saturn keys. I drove this car home last night, let myself into the house and put them on the little table by the door where keys are to be left so that they are easily accessible to both of us. This is where they should be returned to if needed to open the lock on the back gate - which I actually had to do last night for my book club guests and I returned the keys to the table. Now, not positive, but I'm thinking Jason picked up these keys to go out to the car parked by the back gate, which he had driven home, so he went out that door and needed to unlock the gate. He came back in, locked the gate and pocketed the keys!! How do I know this, because this morning when I went to look for the keys so that I could lock the deadbbolt behind us as we exited the house I was unable to find the keys where I had left them and they were supposed to be. I proceeded to ask him if he had both sets of keys and he said yes. I restated my question to indicate I was specifically looking for the Saturn keys which definitely had a house key on it. He said yes again. Did he offer to give them to me after I asked about them twice - No. Now, I'm sure it was my fault because I didn't spell it out specifically for him that I wanted the keys. But you know - I wasn't asking for them out of my health. I would think that since I lock the door after us every morning and he is aware of this that he would put two and two together and give me the keys or at least offer them to me - no such luck. Again, maybe I don't know the reason that he so strongly held on to these keys - maybe they gave him security - just don't know. All that I know is that I did not get them. Mind you this was all happening while we were rushing out the door to make the train, so I didn't even dwell on it at the time or think again to ask more specifically for them. So, maybe it is all my fault that I am now once again stuck without keys!

I know that you who know us are thinking - Andrea, Andrea, how long have you known Jason, this is so like him, you can't be surprised. And, I know, I know. It just does bug me that after being together for six years and basically living together for four of those years, all during which I have had a drop-off area for keys, repeatedly pointing this out and asking and/or yelling at him that he needs to leave the keys there, that he can not get it through his thick skull to do so. If he had done this with his set of keys they would not be lost now and I would not be without keys.

Seriously, do men ever change. Is what I'm asking really all that hard? Maybe one day this work in progress will actually take hold. I would just think that if he keeps losing things and that when he does do it the way I ask and it works that he would realize this and keep it up. I know that people are going to be thinking why would he want to change if all that I do is nag, nag, nag. They don't know that I actually did try and change that aspect of myself - because, even I know I'm pretty good at nagging. I went through a period of a few months where I tried the positive reinforcement method of asking politely going so far as helping and pitching in with most of what I was asking to be done - feeling like a mother the whole time and did it change anything - Not Really. So, I have gone back to nagging because it makes me feel better. If being a spacecadet and not keeping track of things makes him feel like himself and better, then I should have just as much right to nag and bitch cause it makes me feel better.

This sounds like that is all we do, but this is just an instance and this post is just a rant to get it off my chest. The majority of the time we get along very well and are still our happily newlywed married selves, so people don't take this overly serious and start getting out the numbers for counselors - not needed.

All said..... He had better be able to leave on time today!

2 comments:

Bruce said...

Now now Andrea, for all of the things that men forget about don't exactly have it easy with the fairer sex all the time. I have to say I could hear your voice throught this entire post, your pratlings are getting better.

Drea said...

My true voice always works best when I'm a ranting and a raving - which you've heard enough times - I think you will develop the same deaf ear that Jason has :-) I put up with his faults and he puts up with mine. It's a wonderful relationship. I just get to feel superior 'cause I KNOW I'm always right - lol